Wednesday, February 26, 2020

The Magic of Improvised Music

My mission as a performer and curator is to present improvised concerts that illuminate the infinite possibilities within this music. It brings me joy to nurture the bond between performer, audience, and atmosphere, fostering an energy that supports our music in healing the heart and uplifting the spirit. 

In nurturing this connection, my concerts have gone in a radically acoustic direction, honoring our performance spaces without employing unnecessary amplification. This enriches the communal experience immeasurably, and enhances our receptivity to the magic of the moment.

_______________________

What I've Learned:

Music that exists on the fringes of what is considered “marketable” can deeply engage listeners from all walks of life, if we care to engage them.

Creating a context wherein the music can develop organically has an incredible effect on the overall experience. 

Unapologetically setting our music at the center of the experience (rather than relegating music into the background) deepens the experience tenfold for both the musicians and the audience. 

________________

What Makes Or Breaks our Connection with the Audience?

Simple:

Performers, listeners, and venues must be equally devoted to nurturing the magic of the music!
______________________________

I have revamped my website to include a page dedicated to my efforts as a curator and concert presenter. This page discussed this musical magic and outlines the numerous concert series I've been putting together.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Basics

The following  is an essay I wrote that was published by the Baltimore Jazz Alliance on May 4th:  Here's the link: LINK  ...  (This...